Preparation Time : over night soaking + 30 -40 minutes to boil the chick peas
Cooking Time : 1-1/2 minute for each batch cooked
Serving : 3-4 members
Chick peas Kabaab . A dish I came up with when wanting to make a salad with millet grains, chick peas and pomegranate . Washed and pressure cooked the millet grains but then came to know that the husks were not removed from the millet grains . It had a grainy , muddy taste and could not use it and went strait into the bin . The remaining boiled chick peas and pomegranate kernels had to be used in some way and I came up with a Kabaab . Used all the ingredients I would for shammi kabaabs but spiked it up with pomegranate kernels For an extra dash of flavour . Fried and served it with a simple cooling sour cream dip and it was delicate , warm and lightly spiced . The sweetness of the pomegranate and light spice of the chillies elevate this humble kabaab to a delicious side dish . Started with one dish in mind and ended with inventing and turning basic ingredients to a fun , power packed side dish , starter , snack or a packed lunch item instead , with an experience of an extraordinary culinary contrast .
|White dried chickpeas||2 cups|
|Cumin powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/4 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Green chilli||1 chopped|
|Oil||to shallow fry|
|Mint leaves||few chopped|
|Coriander leaves||few chopped|
|Chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Lime juice||1/4 teaspoon|
|Pomegranate kernels||3 tablespoons|
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Pressure cook until soft. Will require at least 4-5 whistles on medium flame.
- Drain out excess water. Heat oil. Add slit green chilly, chopped onion and ginger garlic paste.
- Once onions appear soft add chick peas, chilli powder , garam masala powder , cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat. Add coriander leave and mint leaves . cool the mixture completely .
- Grind this mixture in a mixie jar without adding water.
- Now mix lime juice and pomegranate kernels and Knead for a minute to form a smooth dough.
- Now take the chickpea dough and make round small tikki’s. heat oil to shallow fry in a non stick pan and fry to golden colour on both sides .
- Serve hot with sour cream dip .
Ingredients Sour cream
|Sour cream||1 cup ,( can use hung curd also )|
|Cumin powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves chopped||few|
|Chilli powder||3 pinches|
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients together except for chilli powder .
- Garnish with chilli powder . Chill in the refrigerator and serve .