Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
Serving : 6 members
A budget day at home and had guests to entertain as well . I had to cater to a menu with available ingredients at home . Some how managed the starters and main course but was stuck with dessert as I didn’t know what to do . Checked out what was there in the pantry at home apt for a dessert . Had two tender coconuts , one pomegranate , coconut and sugar . Ok some thing that I had to come up with these few ingredients in hand . For dessert I have to have a setting agent and was lucky to find agar agar in hand . Now I was confident enough that I could pull of a decent dessert . Wanted to set the dessert in an alternative pattern to create a visual treat . Suddenly the bulb moment happened with in me and I thought why not set the the pudding by tilting the glasses so that I get a wave effect . Gave it a try and to my surprise , the coconut milk used along with the tender coconut gave me two layers instead of one which up lifted the look and taste of the dessert . I guess the tilting technique of setting the dessert got me connected to the leaning tower of Pisa where a blunder became a wonder :-)) . The flavours of the tender coconut , coconut milk and pomegranate married each other so well transforming into a never like before harmony combination of goodness and taste . The most talked about dish that day on the table . I realised that the fun part of hosting is trying some thing different to impress .
|Tender coconut water||2 tender coconuts|
|Agar agar ( china grass )||10 grams + 10 grams|
|Thick coconut milk||1 cup|
|Pomegranate juice||3 pomegranates|
|Red food color||few drops|
- Soak 10 grams of agar agar in 1/2 cup water + tender coconut water for ten minutes .
- Heat agar agar soaked in water with tender coconut water .Once the agar agar has dissolved add sugar to taste and mix well .
- Remove from flame and add thick coconut milk .Mix well .
- Pour into tall glass and tilt the glasses and set in the freezer for 40 minutes or more to set .
- ( I placed it in a large bowl of ice cubes with the glasses tilted and kept in the freezer to set quicker ) soak the remaining 10 grams of agar agar in a cup of water for 10 minutes .
- Heat soaked agar agar in water until dissolved .Add sugar to taste and mix well .
- Remove from flame add pomogranite juice ( I added a few drops of red colour as I had only one pomogranite in hand as the colour was pale ) pour over the set tender coconut layer and replace in the freezer with the glasses straight for another one hour or more to set .
- Replace in the refrigerator and serve chill any time when desired .