Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 – 25 minutes
Serving : 10 member
Pita bread pockets with lamb filling . I got to see a picture of this dish in a foodie group which was posted by my fellow home chef mubeen Sulthana . The dish looked so different and wondered how the pita bread pockets were made as they looked perfect . As usual recipe requests were poured and the recipe was posted but only of the filling , not the pita bread pockets . After a while the pita bread pocket recipe was also posted . Saved the recipe and gave it a try one fine morning . Time consuming but good things come to those who wait isn’t it ? The way the bread just popped up and puffed floating over the hot oil , I felt like a child in a candy store filled with so much joy and excitement . The genius tricks and twists that we home chef’s posses in our own ways is amazing and any day far better than a cook book recipe or a recipe googled . We inspire and share the little we know with one another helping each of us improve and widen our culinary horizon . With all credits to mubeen for this recipe , I have elaborated the original recipe a lot more so it’s easy for you people to follow . Happy cooking and snacking to all .
|Sandwich bread||16 slices|
|Oil||to deep fry|
|Salt + pepper||to taste|
|Bread crumbs ||2 cups|
- Steam bread slices over a stove top or in a microwave oven for 10 seconds .
- Remove and dust with flour and roll the bread slices with the help of a rolling pin to flatten the bread slices .
- Cut each flattened bread slice into circles with the help of a round mould cutter .Take two cut round bread slices ,
- place one over the other and brush the edges of the bread slices with water .Press the wet edges together and seal the edges firmly .
- Do the same to all the bread slices .Beat eggs with salt and pepper to taste .
- Dip each sealed round into the beaten egg , remove immediately and toss over the bread crumbs making sure the bread crumbs are coated well all over on both sides .
- Do the same with all the sealed bread rounds .Heat oil to deep fry and fry the bread rounds to a golden brown colour .
- The rounds puff up like poorie’s . Drain and cool completely .Cut each fried round into half to get a semi circle pocket with the help of a sharp knife .
- The pita bread pockets are ready .
Ingredients For the filling
|Minced lamb||¼ kg|
|2 medium sized onion||2 chopped|
|Chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Ginger and garlic paste||1/ 4 teaspoon each|
|Coriander leaves||chopped few|
Method for filling
- In a pressure cooker put the minced meat and the rest of the spices .let it cook up to two whistles .heat oil , sauté the chopped onions to translucent .
- Add the cooked minced meat and cook to dry .Taste and adjust seasoning .
- Garnish with coriander leaves .Cool completely and set aside .
How to proceed
- Fill each bread pita pocket with generous amount of filling and serve with tomato ketchup ,mayonnaise or any dip of your choice .
- Make the filling and pita bread circle until dipping into beaten egg and coating in bread crumbs all around ahead for ultimate convenience .
- Deep fry the Pita bread circles just before serving , cut into 1/2 , fill and serve .
- You can use any filling of your choice . Vegetarians can substitute with a vegetable filling , panner filling or soya chunks filling .