Preparation Time : 25 minutes
Cooking Time : 5 minutes
Serving : 4 members
An authentic Gujarati dish . I came across this dish in a cook book and was surprised because in south India we use poha ( aval ) mainly to Make sweets ) . My neighbour Bindu is from Ahmadabad , she makes aloo poha very often and I get my share with out fail .
|Poha ( aval )||2 cups medium thickness ( soaked in water for 20 minutes or until soft drained and squeeze the excess water)|
|mustard seeds||1 tea spoon|
|clove and cinnamon||2 (each)|
|green chillies||3 slit|
|onion||1/2 cup chopped|
|turmeric powder||3/4 tea spoon|
|potato boiled and peeled||1 cup cubes|
|sugar||1 tea spoon|
|grated coconut||3/4 cup|
|lime juice||2 table spoons|
|coriander leaves||2 table spoons chopped|
- Heat oil , add mustard seeds , cloves and cinnamon .
- Let it crackle , then top with onion , green chillies and curry leaves . Fry till translucent .
- Add turmeric powder and potatoes . Sprinkle 2 table spoons of water and toss well till the water has dried .
- Add the poha , salt and sugar . Mix well adding lime juice and grated coconut. Mix well . Taste and adjust .
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot . ( can add boiled green peas also along with boiled potatoes following the same recipe for aloo Mattur poha ).