Preparation Time : 35 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 4 to 6 members
Millet rice balls with avocado aioli dressing . It’s been quite some time since I made salad at home . Last afternoon decided to skip my regular lunch . instead make a decent salad that should be healthy and fulfilling . I was in a mood to use ingredients from my refrigerator kind of thing , as it was fully loaded with vegetables ,fruits and herbs after my return from kodaikanal . Picked what ever I felt was right enough to be used and ripe along with some other ingredients . I remembered going through a recipe ( not sure where ) , where they had used quinoa balls in a salad . So I borrowed that idea and started of with millet rice balls . The first time I was experimenting with millet grains . Made a dressing with ripe avocado and mayonnaise . Tasted bland and buttery so just added a piece of sun dried tomato and its oil . Tasted and it just did pure Magic . I didn’t want to use regular salad vegetables so opted for the remaining avocado and spiked it with all the green herbs that I had . Proceeded and put the salad together . The salad was creamy , crunchy , tart , fragrantly herby with colour bursting all over . This haute make over with marvelous pairing of contrasting flavours are for keeps and sure to be a hit on any table . finally my quest of skipping lunch and having a salad alone was done in style .
Ingredients for the millet rice balls
|Millet rice ( husk removed )||120 gm|
|Brown bread||4 slices|
|Red , yellow and green pepper||1/4 each chopped|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Chilli flakes||to taste|
|Pine nuts||1/4 cup|
|Lime juice||1/2 lime|
|feta cheese||100 grams|
|Salt and pepper||to taste|
Ingredients for avocado aioli dressing
|Sun dried tomato||1 piece with 1 teaspoon oil|
|Ripe Avocado||1/2 cut to stripes|
|Leeks||1 stem alone sliced few|
|Fresh whole basil leaves||15|
|Spring onion||1 with greens chopped|
Method for millet rice balls
- Pressure cook washed millet rice with 3 times more of water to the ratio of 1 share millet : 3 shares of water for 3 whistles and set aside to cool .
- Blitz the bread slices to a coarse powder . Heat oil and saute pine nuts and chopped coloured peppers to soft and nuts to lightly golden .
- Mix the cooked millet rice , pine-nuts pepper mixture , bread slice coarse powder , feta crumbled , lime juice , salt , pepper , chilli flakes and dill together .
- Mix well and shape into even size balls . Place on a greased microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 2 minutes . Remove and set aside
Method for avocado aioli dressing
- To make the avocado aioli for the salad , Blend the avocados with the mayonnaise , salt , sun dried tomato and oil to a smooth paste .
- Taste and adjust and set aside .
Method for salad
- For salad , Mix avocado strips with leeks , fresh basil leaves and chopped spring onion .
- Toss half of the avocado aioli with the salad .
How to proceed and plate
- To serve , spread the salad on the base , top with millet rice balls and serve the remaining avocado aioli beside .
- Serve at room temperature .