Preparation Time : 30 to 40 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 6 to 8 members
It’s the national dish of Mauritius . My daughter Anisha had gone for her honeymoon to Mauritius . Where ever they ate any time of the day , they were served banana tarts . My gal and my son in law loved the tart . They went on and on about the banana tart after their trip . I got the recipe from a satellite tv channel. Took note of it and tried . It was so yum And the best part was it tasted exactly like what my daughter had in Mauritius .
sugar 1 1/4 cup
vanilla essence few drops
black or yellow food colour few drops
Maida 250 gm
cold butter 100 gm
salt a pinch
butter to grease the tart tin
egg 1 beaten to brush on top of tart
- Mix mashed bananas , sugar , food colour and vanilla essence together .
- Cook in a non – stick kadai , stirring frequently till it forms a thick paste . Keep aside .
- Rub maida , butter and salt together to get bread crumb consistency . Add little water to get a pastry dough .
- Do not knead to much . Cover with cling film and keep in the refrigaratore for 1/2 an hour . Preheat an oven at 200 degree celsious .Roll out to 1/2 inch thick circle .
- Cut small circles out of the big circle pastry dough . Grease a tart tin with butter , place the small circles in to the tart moulds . Prick with a fork and blind bake for five minutes .
- Take out cool and then fill with banana filling . Cover the tart with pastry strips in a cross cross pattern .
- Brush egg over the top of the tart . Bake for 8 to 10 minutes till cooked through . Serve hot or cold .