Preparation Time : 35 minute
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serving : 6 members
Chicken ball manchurian a fabulous stir fry gravy a dish that i had to try out because of my gal ANISHA . I regularly make caulifiower manchrian at home but this was new to me. How much every i cook and experiment . At time there are dishes that i learn and got to know because of my my kids . (maninly my daughter a bundle of fuss when it comes to food) this dish is a riot of textures colours and flavours on a plate . Any thing related to the word ball . My mind goes to cheese balls i was in the 2 nd standard then (1979) just joint boarding school . With every thing from language , friends , food , ambience to surroundings new to me . I was in a fix , Totally felt lost but coped up soon . We had a room called the tuck room where all our snacks from home were kept in a wardrobe locked . We were given our snacks only in the evening . The minute the wardrobe was open , i used to gaze at all the snacks that my friends from the Middle East have . From kitkat , snicker , mars , milky Way …. (the list is end less ) and mainly the mighty cheese balls . Back then we just has cadbury chocolates in india and there was no source of imported items as well . Having no idea about what is this heavenly ball made up of . I used to beg , plead and soap my middle east friends to give me some cheese balls . One outing with my parents searched through out ooty for cheese balls but resulted in disappointment . Now a days you got cheese balls any where and every where but can’t eat as you wish because of the calorie count in it . What a pity ????
Ingredients for making the balls
|Refined flour||½ cup|
|Ginger Paste||1/4 teaspoon|
|Garlic Paste||1/4 teaspoon|
|Carrot grated||1 small|
|Cabbage shredded||1/4 cup|
|Ajinomoto||a pinch ( optional )|
|Soya Sauce||1 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli sauce||½ teaspoon|
|Oil||For deep frying|
Ingredients for sauce
|Ginger,finely chopped||1 tablespoons|
|Garlic,finely chopped||1 tablespoon|
|Green chilies,finely chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Soya sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Red Chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli sauce||½ teaspoon|
|White pepper||¾ teaspoon|
|Ajinomoto||A pinch ( optional )|
|Chicken stock||3 cups (I used maggi chicken stock cube 2 + 3 cups water|
|Cornflour||3 tablespoons mixed|
|with||1/4 cup water|
|Tinned pineapple||2 slices cut into chunks ( optional , adds a lot of flavour )|
Method for making the balls
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned for making the balls with the exception of oil.Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.Make 16 small lemon-sized balls of this mixture, squeezing out excess water to prevent breakage.
- Deep fry the balls a few at a time.Drain when golden brown and cooked. Set aside.
Method For the sauce
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add the ginger, garlic , capsicum and green chilies.Fry over a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the Soya sauce, chili sauce, chilli powder , pepper, sugar, ajinomoto, stock and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the fried balls , pineapple chunks and cook covered on low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cornflour mixed with water and stir continuously, so that the sauce become thick.Garnish with spring onion tops.