Preparation Time : 40 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serving : 6 members
Broccoli crapes with green spinach sauce . The crapes , filling and the sauce are a regular at home but not had together as one dish . By putting these regular’s together with a knock out spin in the sauce by adding spinach puree to it . The dish was taken to another level with mouth watering heights . Some times a single ingredient change can feel like a total make over . I gave this dish a first try for hubby’s new vegetarian avatar recently . He approved the dish by eating 3/4 of what was made . He keeps telling every one that , he is a white rat in my cooking experiment laboratory . All my new tries are first tested and approved by him and then I decide the rest . I made this dish again when the kids were home and they loved it . Tweaking the tried and true is exciting too :-))
Ingredients for crapes
|Flour / maida||1 cup|
|Water||1 3/4 cup ( more or less to get a thin loose consistency batter )|
Method for crapes
- Mix all the above ingredients together except for barilla brand basilico pasta sauce or tomato sauce to get a thin flowing consistency batter .
- Pour into thin crapes on a non – stick pan and cook for 2 minutes covered . Remove and set aside . ( I used my appam non – stick kadai )
Ingredients for broccoli filling
|Broccoli flower lets||1 cup chopped|
|Onion||1 big chopped|
|Green chillies||to taste chopped|
|Cheese||4 tablespoons grated + 3 tablespoons to garnish|
|Garlic||2 flakes crushed|
Method for broccoli filling
- Put the broccoli flower lets into salted water . Remove from heat and set aside with lid closed for 5 minutes .
- Drain . Heat butter , fry onions and garlic for 1/2 a minute .
- Top with green chillies and drained broccoli flower lets . Sauté for 3-4 minutes . Season with salt . Taste and adjust .
- Cool and add 4 tablespoon grated cheese and mix well . Set aside .
Ingredients for spinach sauce
|Boiled spinach puree||2 cups|
|Flour / maida||2 tablespoons|
|Salt + pepper + chilli flakes||to taste|
Method for spinach sauce
- Mix milk and spinach purée together and set aside .
- Heat butter in a non – stick pan , add flour and saute for 1/2 a minute in low flame , stirring continuously .
- Add milk and spinach puree mixture little by little and go on stirring until the sauce becomes thick making sure no lumps are formed .
- Season with salt , pepper and chilli flakes to taste . Set aside .
How to proceed
- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of barilla brand basilico pasta sauce or tomato sauce all over one side of the crape .
- Fill the crape with 1 tablespoon of broccoli mixture and roll the crapes tightly . Do the same to all the crapes and broccoli filling .
- Arrange the broccoli filled crapes on a greased baking dish and pour the spinach sauce over .
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cheese on top and bake in a preheated hot oven at 200 degree Celsius for 18 to 20 minutes . Serve hot .
- In case you have extra sauce left over . Can serve it along with the crapes , so that any one wanting more sauce can have it .
- Can substitute broccoli with cauliflower or mixed vegetable filling . Non vegetarians can use any form of meat filling .
- Spinach can be substituted with 3 green / red or yellow capsicums for the sauce . Don’t boil the capsicums instead just blend them with milk to get a smooth runny paste .