Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 15- 20 minutes
Serving : 10 members
Chicken sandwich pola . The word Pola is used in malabar cuisine , referred to a dish sweet or savoury which is made with bread , eggs and milk as the main ingredient with a filling in between . I have heard about kaayapola which is made with ripe Kerala plantains . But the savoury pola was an eye opener to me as I didn’t know about it at all . I got know about this dish through UAE food guild where nawal althuaf had posted this recipe . Loved the look , recipe and easy procedure . Gave it a try and I was like ” I always use these ingredients in my kitchen but why didn’t my mind think of such an innovative concept ” . The key to making this dish is slow cooking in very low heat to seal the sandwich together . This particular recipe is a twist incorporated with modern interpretation to the authentic savoury malabar pola as in malabar cuisine they don’t use capsicum’s or bell peppers in their cooking . The dish had a lovely moist crisp outside with a hot juicy filling in between with a surprising array of aroma that is impeccable with a delicate , alchemical infusion of flavours and textures . This made to impress dish will remain in your memory list of scrumptious food .
|Milk||1 cup , ( this is an additional ingredient I added to get a moist pola )|
|bread||7 to 8slices ( depends upon the size of your pan , in case your pan is too small take less amount of total ingredients)|
|capsicum||(red , yellow and green cut into round shaped slices ) 1 slice each|
|green chillies||2 crushed|
Ingredients For Masala Filling
|Boneless Chicken||300-400g( you can use mutton keema , fish , prawn , mixed vegetables , paneer or soya flakes instead )|
|Kashmiri Chilly pwd||1 teaspoon heaped,|
|Turmeric powder||1\2 teaspoon|
|Oil||1 1/2 tablespoons|
|Onion finely chopped||3|
|Green chilly finely chopped||4 - 5 or more to taste|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1\2 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||chopped few|
|Coriander leaves||chopped few|
Method for filling
- Marinate cleaned chicken with chilly powder , turmeric powder and salt .Shallow fry Chicken pieces , cool and Mince by blitzing in the food processor .
- Heat oil in a board pan , sauté onion and green chilly, till transparent.Add salt, ginger garlic paste and sauté to crisp .
- Add garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder ,curry leaves, coriander leaves and Mix well.
- Add shredded Chicken . mix well and remove from flame and set aside .
How to proceed
- Beat the eggs using an egg beater till frothy along with one cup milk . finally fold in the maida , salt and crushed green chillies till well mixed.
- Grease some ghee in a non stick shallow pan and heat the pan in a very low flame . pour half of the egg mix place the bread slices tightly Making sure there is no gap or holes in between the bread slices .
- Press and level with your hand . the bread must be soaked in the egg mixture . now add the masala all over it.again spread the bread (place it carefully making sure there are no hole ‘s in between the bread slice’s ) .
- Now top with the remaining egg mixture and fill the sides with egg mix . after 2 mins ,add the capsicum rings , coriander leaves and sprinkle sesame seeds .8 cover and cook on a very low flame for 10 minutes .then turn other side carefully.
- Its very diffcult to turn over the sandwich pola using a spatula so place a greased non – stick dosa tawa over the non – stick shallow pan and tilt over the sandwich pola carefully . ( this is a hassle free method ) .
- Place the tilted sandwich pola in the dosa tawa , over a very low flame and cook further for 2-3 minutes . Making sure you do not burn or brown the upper crust too much .
- We want a pale or bright yellow colour on the crust . Check if the sandwich pola is cooked by inserting a tooth pick in the Center of the sandwich pola , if it comes out clean . The sandwich pola is cooked .
- Place the serving plate over the cooked sandwich pola in the dosa tawa and turn over to get the capsicum decorated side on top . Cut into wedges and serve hot as it is