Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 40 minutes
Serving : 8 members
Macaroni & cheese bake . A dish I first got to know about in neigella lawsons program on the telly . Wanted to try the recipe then and there but just didn’t happen . 2 days latter my hubby’s cousin brother Yousuf send over something for dinner . Opened the box and to my surprise it was mac n cheese . He also is a keen cook and foodie , often cant resist trying out a recipe as soon as it is discovered like me . he was also inspired by neigella lawsons program and made it for dinner . It was creamy and yum . After a few days while switching channels came across another mac n cheese recipe which was apt for our Indian pallet . The host was a Jamaican and he added curry powder and green chillies . The recipe I am posting today is also his recipe as I found neigella lawsons recipe to be too bland for the Indian taste buds . The bland dish with a bit of chilli lift Breaks the monotony of the cheese . i can assure , once you make it ,they will be the talk of your meal for a long time . My kids, son – in – law and even my fussy hubby likes mac n cheese . We all like it to explode with creamy and gooey cheese as soon as we bite into the crusty melted cheese exterior .The picture I am posting today was taken by my gal ANISHA and the mac n cheese was prepared by her too .
|butter||50 grams + to grease + to dot|
|plain flour ( maida )||2 tablespoons|
|milk||500 ml ( 2 cups )|
|grated cheese||2 cups ( I use Amul cheese cubes 1 cup grated and 6 Amul cheese slice )|
|Onion||1 big chopped|
|Mixed dried herbs rosemary , thyme , dill , oregano and basil||a pinch each|
|Chilli flakes||to taste|
|Green chillies||2 slit|
|Curry masala powder||1 tablespoon ( coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon + red chilli powder -1/4 teaspoon + cumin powder - a huge pinch + fennel powder - a huge pinch . Mix altogether to get curry masala powder )|
|Cooked shredded Chicken||1/2 cup , ( optional )|
|Sweet corn and capsicum||1/4 cup each ( optional )|
|Bread crumbs||1 1/2 teaspoons|
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling water according to packet instructions (different brands may vary in size & cooking times)
melt the butter in a medium non stick sauce pan and add chopped onion , slit green chillies , crushed garlic and fry to translucent . add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute over medium-low heat.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Stir gently until the mixture comes just to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the 1/2 the grated cheese and 4 cheese slices , stir until melted and smooth.top with a pinch of all the dried mixed herbs , chilli flakes , salt ( be care full with salt as cheese is already salty ) chicken , sweet corn and capsicum .
- Add the curry masala powder making sure the sauce colour remains cream in colour . Taste and adjust the sauce . The sauce should be in a semi thick gooey flowing consistency .
- Drain the cooked pasta . Pour cheese sauce over the pasta and stir until well coated.remove the slit green chillies . Grease a ceramic baking tray . pour the cheese sauce coated macaroni . top with remaining grated cheese .
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over . Cut the remaining cheese slice ‘s into thin strips . Place it in a criss cross pattern over the grated cheese . Dot the top with little butter all around .
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degree celsius for 30 minutes . serve hot . I like my mac n cheese creamy so I always make sure it’s still gooey with a cheese melted crust .
- Just add more milk to get a gooey saucy mac n cheese .