Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 4 minutes
Serves : 6 members
August 15th, Independence Day of India. Days of celebrating it in school with a grand assembly held, flag hosting, chocolates disturbed, paper flag badges… Then came the days of us participating in the celebrations of the Independence Day at the race course ground in ooty with the collector and the locals. One year I was in the band and the next following years in the dance ( bangra and Manipuri ). Joy full days when the simplest thing in life could cheer you up. Laughing, giggling, making fun of other school students ( wonder why we had the attitude that only Shepherdians were the best ?? Sorry to say I still feel the same ) good old memories. After school was done, it was with just watching the telly always with the parade that takes place in Delhi. How can I forget the days of sending my kids to school for their Independence Day celebrations early in the morning. Well now that all that is also done and come to a stand still . Last year , I made sure to celebrate the patriotic side in me. I made these ribbon sandwiches and a few other snacks, bought paper flag badges and celebrated Independence Day with my fellow Zumba mate’s in the gym. Every one had their eyes popped out the minute they saw the sandwich’s. This easy to assemble, tasty sandwich did all the magic. It was so much fun. Well thousands laid down their lives so that we in India can breath in ease today. We should never forget their sacrifice. So be Incredible, Novel, Dazzling, Immense, Adorable Which is what India stands for. Happy Independence Day to one all.
|Sandwich bread||12 slices edges cut|
Ingredients for mint chutney
|Mint leaves||1 cup|
|Coriander leaves||1 cup|
|Tamarind||goose burry size ball|
|Grated Coconut||2 teaspoons|
|Jaggery||a small piece|
|Butter||2 teaspoon at room temperature|
Method for mint chutney
- Grind all the ingredients together to a smooth thick paste adding very little water.
- Mix the butter to get a spreading consistency chutney. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Ingredients for carrot chutney
|White pepper powder||1/2 teaspoon|
Method for carrot chutney
- Boil the chopped carrots with salt to taste and water. Cool completely.
- Grind boiled carrots with white pepper powder to a smooth thick paste with out adding water.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
How to proceed
- Apply mint chutney over one slice of bread slice generously. Cover with another bread slice.
- Apply carrot chutney over the top of the second bread slice generously. Cover with another bread slice.
- Cut the sandwich into equal triangles. Do the same to all the bread slices and both the chutney’s.
- Serve at room temperature.