Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 to 30 members
Serving : 6 to 8 members
A tasty , tangy , hot and sweet dish served as a side dish for biriyani in the ravuthar community of Tamil Nadu . Deepa Almaz requested me to post the recipe but my hubby’s place they serve a similar dish called ennai katharikai . I know to prepare the ennai katharikai dish not the katharikai katta . I very vaguely remembered going through the recipe of katharikai katta from my friend fathimas mother – in – laws from salem (meher amma ) hand written recipe book ( which I had taken a xerox of the entire book ) . I tried it out and it was tasteing exactelly as served at the weddings . One of the best treasures I own to date is the hand written xerox of Mehar ammas recipe book . It is filled with all authentic dishes which are fading away .
|To dry roast and grind to a smooth paste – mustard seeds||3/4 teaspoon|
|cumin seed||3/4 teaspoon|
|fenugreek seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|pepper corns||3/4 teaspoon|
|sesame seeds||3/4 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Main Dish
|Small onion||15 crushed|
|ginger||1 /2 inch piece crushed|
|garlic||5 flakes crushed|
|brinjals||12 whole slit at the into 4|
|gingily oil||1/2 cup|
|coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|chilli powder||2 teaspoons|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|tamarind pulp||1/2 cup|
- Heat a non stick pan with oil in it . Add 1/2 of the crushed small onions , ginger and garlic .
- Top with half of the ground masala and add the brinjals . Fry till the colour of the brinjal changed and becomes a bit soft for about 10 minutes .
- Add the other 1/2 of crushed things and the ground masala . Stir well , top with coriander powder , chilli powder , turmeric powder and salt to taste .
- Sauté for 2 minutes adding the tamarind pulp and very little water just enough to cook the brinjal and to get a thick flowing gravy .
- Simmer and cook till oil floats on top and brinjals are soft and cooked through . Add the jaggery finally , mix well . Taste and adjust .
- Serve hot with biriyani .