preparation Time : 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 – 30 minutes
Serving : 6 members
Curried stuffed buns . Anything that’s stuffed excites me and i get super thrilled . I am crazy about stuffed things from spring rolls , samosas , puffs so on and so forth . Stuffed buns . This is my first try . The results were not bad for a first try as the shape and look turned out pitch perfect but the texture was not as soft as i expected them to turn out . I guess it s my fault as i was so impatient to let the dough rise as demanded . I always has a big question in mind as to how does the filling get into the bun in my initial stages when i started to cook . Feels great to think about my culinary journey and non – stop foodie adventure from where i started to till date . But my hunger for knowledge in this field gets more and more and i have a never ending craving passion towards food . The preparation of good food is merely another expression of art . one of the joy’s of civilized living with inspiration drawn from all over the globe and the simplest things like colored candies at home .
Ingredients for the buns
Yeast 1 tablespoons
Sugar 30 grams
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Maida 2 cups
Warm water 1 tablespoon
Oil 1/4 cup
Milk 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds or sesame seeds to top the bun 1 teaspoon ( optional )
Ingredients for the filling
Minced meat 200 grams ( vegetarians can substitute with soya chunks or 2 cups of chopped mixed vegetables )
Ginger 1 inch piece grated
Chilli powder 1 teaspoon
Pepper 1/2 teaspoon
Small onions 5 chopped
Vinegar 1/2 teaspoon
Onion 1 chopped
Garlic 6 flakes
Green chillies 2 chopped
Thick Coconut milk 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin powder 1/4 teaspoon
Egg 1 boiled and chopped ( optional )
Oil 3 tablespoons
Coriander leaves few chopped
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water . Mix maida with salt and sugar .
- Mix in the dissolved yeast and oil to the maida . Knead into a very soft slightly sticky dough , adding egg and milk .
- Transfer to a wooden board , sprinkle maida and knead the dough very well till it is smooth and elastic .
- Cover with a wet damp cloth and set aside in an oiled bowl for 30 -40 minutes .
Method for filling
- Boil minced meat with salt and vinegar to dry and cooked .Grind turmeric powder , cumin powder , chilli powder ,pepper powder , small onions and garlic together .Heat oil and fry the chopped onions ,green chillies and grated ginger for a minute ,top with ground masala and fry well .
- Add cooked minced meat and toss well .Once the raw smell of the masala vanishes ,
- Add coconut milk and cook to dry .Finally add the chopped boiled egg and coriander leaves .Mix well and cool completely and set aside
How to proceed
- Preheat an oven to 200 degree Celsius .Divide the dough into 12 equal
- Flatten each portion into a disc and in the Center put a heaped teaspoon of curried meat filling inside .
- Close carefully by pulling the edges of the disc towards the center to seal the filling into a ball and leave seam side down on an oiled baking tray for 10 -15 minutes till they rise and double in volume .
- Brush the buns with beaten egg .Sprinkle some poppy seeds or sesame seeds over on top .Bake for 15 – 20 minutes till golden brown on top .