Preparation Time : 20 minutes if dosa batter is ready in hand
Cooking Time : 2 1/2 minutes for each uthappam
Serving : 4 members
Vegetable uthappam . Uthappam’s are made with dosa batter in a thick form , which is soft and spongy . Usually cooked on one side with a lid covered in low flame . So it has a crisp base and a soft top . You can turn over the uttappam and cook but I prefer the one side cooked uttappam . This dish is a fuss free one incase you have dosa batter ready at home . Takes little time to make and even less time to polish off with innovation . Home cooked food will never be monotonous ever again . As a kid when ever we were at a vegetarian restaurant to eat ,dad’s order would be onion uttappam . I used to hate it as my favourite used to be ghee roast . When I was newly married , my neighbour at moms place Chitra Akka had invited us for dinner to her place . She served us onion uttappam , very hesitantly started eating but to my surprise I loved it . She had made small palm size uttappam’s topped with finely chopped onions , a sprinkle of cumin seeds and chopped coriander leaves . Got the recipe from her immediately . Wanting more uttappam’s but shy as well ( the uttappam’s were small ) just had to gaze at them . Now the mighty uttappam is a staple at home , Topped with any thing of my choice according to my mood swing .
|Dosa batter||3 cups|
|Mixed vegetables (sweetcorn , baby corn , cabbage)||2 tablespoons each|
|Onion||1 finely chopped|
|Tomato||1 finely chopped|
|Carrot grated||3 tablespoons|
|Capsicum finely chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Green chillies||3 finely chopped|
|Coriander leaves||few chopped|
|Oil||1 teaspoon for each uthappam|
- Grease your tawa with a little oil and rub it with half an onion. This is done to prevent the uthappam from sticking to the tawa.
- Heat a Non stick tawa or an iron skillet, take a ladle of batter and spread it on the tawa in a circle. Uthappam should be thick as seen in the picture below.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil around the uthappam .Small holes will appear on the top as it gets cooked.
- Uthappam is getting cooked Sprinkle the finely chopped vegetables evenly on the top and cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes in medium heat .
- After the base is cooked (it will become golden brown in colour) flip it over to the other side .
- Now drizzle a little oil around the uthappam .Let the other side also get cooked for a minute . Incase you don’t want to flip over and cook . cook on one side covered with a lid in medium heat for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes .
- Remove and Serve hot with any chutney of your choice and sambar.
- You can add any toppings like grated cheese , grated beetroot, sprinkle of cumin seeds or iddli podi , onions alone , tomatoes alone , finely chopped mint leaves , grated paneer , I have just given a few examples, it is all left to your choice.
- I usually top with left over veggies from lunch ( Poriyal , greens , pizza topping veggies or sautéed left over sand which veggies – here I have used sand which left over veggies )