Preparation Time : 50 minutes
Cooking Time : 6 – 8 minutes for each batch deep fried
Serving : 6 members
I know just two dishes that I use fresh fenugreek greens for . One is for methi chapathi and the other I use the fenugreek greens along with chicken or mutton gravy . I came across this recipe in good food magazine and was delighted about the easy approach and uncomplicated home style recipe to use fresh fenugreek greens . Followed the original recipe religiously but found the fenugreek leaves bitterness over powering the gotas so on my next try used a simple trick I always do to remove the bitterness of the fenugreek greens to a certain amount by soaking them in water along with sugar for a few minutes , drain and use as required . This worked wonders with the light , airy , crunchy , local , rugged flavoured gotas . These gotas are a Gujarati variation of the methi pakoras found across India which is usually made in winter as a street food . Some of the greatest Indian tastes in food are with the street food sellers in our country . I made these for ifthar which was an apt opportunity to add some greens into my menu injecting a dose of freshness .
|Gram flour||1 1/2 cup|
|Whole wheat flour||1/2 cup|
|Sugar||1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1 teaspoon|
|White sesame seeds||2 teaspoons|
|Coriander seeds||2 teaspoon coarsely crushed|
|Black peppercorns||10 coarsely crushed|
|Green chillies||4 crushed|
|Garlic cloves||4 crushed|
|Fresh fenugreek leaves||2 cups cleaned|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Oil||to deep fry|
- Marinate cleaned fresh fenugreek leaves in 1 cup water with 1 tablespoon of sugar for 15 minutes .
- Mix gram flour , salt , sugar , chilli powder , turmeric powder ,asafoetida , garam masala powder , sesame seeds ,coriander seeds , green chillies , garlic and pepper corns together .Add curd and mix well .
- Top with fresh methi leaves drained and coriander leaves along with 1/2 cup water to make a thick paste consistency batter similar to condensed milk .Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes .
- Add baking soda and mix well . Heat oil until extremely hot .Add 4 teaspoons of hot oil to the gota mix ,this helps the gotas get crunchy and light .
- Gently add a tablespoon of the mix to the heated oil and fry until golden brown in colour .Drain and repeat with the rest of the batter .
- Serve hot with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.