Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 35 minutes
Serving : 6 to 8 members
We call it semiya biriyani . This is an authentic dish from the Tamil speaking Muslims who are addressed as rawvthars . Both my grandmoms and my mom are perfect in preparing this dish . I remember my grandmom ( dads mom ) balkees perima used to make this in a huge vessel for us in at least 10 to 12 kg of meat . As we cousins only were 29 members . Recently I made this for my friend Sindhu and her daughters . The gals went bonkers over the samiya biriyani . She got the recipe from me as her second daughter oozy wanted samiya biriyani for her birthday . My sons favourite dish and it has to be made by my mom for sure .
|Mutton or chicken||3/4 kg|
|fried vermicelli||600 gm ( better if we fry in ghee to golden brown in colour )|
|ginger garlic paste||2 table spoon|
|tomato||4 big chopped|
|coriander leaves||4 table spoon chopped|
|mint leaves||3 table spoon|
|green chillies||6 slit|
|small onions||one hand crushed|
|cinnamon stick||5 pieces|
|ghee||1 1/4 cup ( can mix oil with ghee instead of useing ghee alone )|
|chilli powder||1 1/2 table spoon ( add to taste as I prefer the spicy version )|
|water (ratio)||Measure vermicelli and add water equal to the measurement of the vermicelli|
- Heat ghee adding cinnamon , cloves , cardamom with onions .fry onions to dark brown in colour .
- Add crushed small onion, green chillies , ginger garlic paste to brown.
- Top with tomato , mint , coriander leaves , curd , salt to taste , meat and chilli powder . Stir well till it forms a thick gravy.
- Pour measured water to cook the meat . Once cooked add lime juice.
- Taste and adjust.
- Bring to boil and add vermicelli . Once the vermicelli is half cooked and water has reduced Lower the flame and keep in dum for 5 to 8 minutes . The vermicelli biriyani is ready.
- Serve hot with onion Raitha.
At times curd added might give a lot of gravy out before adding water to cook the meat . In that case , just reduce 1 cup of water and cook the meat . Add the fried vermicelli and you find the water is not enough , boil the one cup of water and add as required.