Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serving : 4 to 6 members
This is a North Indian bread based dessert . It is also pronounced as shahi tukrey and shahi Tukda . It’s rich and easy to follow recipe With ingredients always available at home . I learnt this dish from a vedio tape from-nestle foods . They had given the vedio tapes as an advertisement to promote the use of milk maid in the early nineties .
|Bread||10 slices ( edges removed and cut into triangles )|
|ghee or oil||to deep fry|
|sugar||1 1/2 cup|
|saffron||1/4 tea spoon|
|cornflour||1/2 teaspoon diluted in 1 tea spoon water|
|yellow food colour||a big pinch|
|nuts||5 tea spoon chopped to garnish|
For the sugar syrup
|rose water||1/2 tea spoon|
- Boil all ingredients together for the sugar syrup to a one string consistency . Remove from heat and keep aside to cool .
- Boil milk , cream , sugar and saffron in a heavy bottomed pan till reduced to slightly thick consistency .
- Add the diluted cornflour and yellow food colour . Mix well , stirring to get a thick pouring consistency sauce . Keep aside to cool .
- Heat ghee or oil to deep fry . Deep fry the bread slices to golden brown in colour and crisp . Strain and keep aside .
- Dip the fried bread in sugar syrup , drain and keep aside . Pour the milk mixture over the fried bread pieces on a platter .
- Garnish with nuts . Keep in the refrigerator and serve chilled .