Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 – 25 minutes
Serving : 4 members
Mutta charu . Mutta means egg and charu is how we address curries at home . So this is an authentic egg curry that my grand ma ( dads mom , balkess perima ) used to make for us . From the first time I remember eating this curry I have loved it to the core . The poached eggs in the tamarind , coconut and red chilli curry base is to die for . I end up eating a lot of rice when ever this curry is made at home . My grand ma used to high light this dish by making an omelet mix ( the usual onion, green chillies , coriander leaves , tomato , salt , pepper , turmeric powder mix ) and make round omelettes in a kuli pariyaram mould . Add the omelettes to the mutta charu just before serving . These panniyara omelettes were reserved for the kids at home . This curry is always the first wanted dish in my wish list when at moms place . Hubby’s place this curry is never heard of before and no one Fancies it at home . So this curry is made only on all alone “ME ” days at home . Best served with white boiled white rice . Give this dish a try folks , happy cooking to all .
|tamarind pulp||1 1/2 cup|
|chilli powder||5 table spoons ( or according to taste as this curry is very hot )|
|thick coconut milk||1 cup|
|green chillies||4 slit|
|small onions||2 1/2 hands cut into 1/2|
|coconut oil||5 table spoons|
|cumin seeds||1/2 tea spoon|
|fenugreek seeds||1/2 tea spoon|
- Mix tamarind pulp , ground coconut , coconut milk , chilli powder , green chillies , 3/4 of cut small onions and salt to taste together .
- Add 4 cups of water to the tamarind coconut paste mix .Taste and adjust and set aside .
- Heat oil , add fenugreek seeds , cumin seeds , little small onions and garlic flakes .Fry till the fenugreek crackles .Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till oil separates .
- Top with 1 tablespoon chilli powder and fry for 10 seconds as to get a good red colour to the curry .
- Pour the mixed tamarind ,coconut paste mixture over .Cover with a lid and cook till green chillies are cooked and colour changes .
- Lower the flame to medium and drop the eggs one at a time far apart from each other . let it cook for 5 minutes undisturbed , then turn over the dropped eggs and cook further for another 5 minutes undisturbed .
- Simmer for another 2 minutes till oil floats on top. Serve hot with boiled rice .