Preparation time : 5 minutes + 1 hour and 15 minutes for the batter to double
Cooking time : 3-4 minutes for each batch deep fried
Serves : 6-8 members
On my return from a holiday in Dubai, hubby dear’s niece sabeena gifted me a huge bag full of edible goodies. Back home went through the entire lot of goodies and found every thing to be so useful and new to me. The ready mix Arabic dumpling box was a boon which helped me to entertain guests for brunch and during the holy month of Ramadan to break out fast. The dumpling ready mix box lasted for three servings.. There after when the dumplings were on demand at home I felt lost thinking who do I ask for the next batch from Dubai letting go off as always. Recently I came across a recipe in the name of luqaimat in a foodie group with an image looking similar to the dumplings I made. Googled to find out it’s the same dumplings with its authentic name being luqaimat. Took note of two easy recipes and tried both and had to settled down with combining both the recipe’s that was exactly like my previous luqaimat’s light, airy, soft centres with a crisp exterior. I thank sabeena for the edible gifts that let me learn another new recipe for keeps and to share with you all.
|Flour / maida||3 1/2 cups|
|Instant Yeast||1 1/4 teaspoon|
|Warm water||2 1/2 cups|
|Oil||to deep fry|
Ingredients to toss
|White sesame seeds||to sprinkle|
- Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar together.
- Gradually add the luck warm water to the flour mix making sure no lumps are formed to get a sticky batter
- Cover the batter with a wet damp cloth and let it double in size for 1 hour to 1 hours-15 minutes.beat the batter with hands four times in a gap of 15 minutes each in the first hour of doubling.
- Heat oil to deep fry. Drop a teaspoon of batter to get small balls (I preferred to use my hands to drop balls). They pop up and float on the top. Reduce the flame and fry to a light golden color and crisp for about 3-4 minutes in total for each batch. Drain.
- Drizzle with honey when the luqaimat balls are hot. Toss well and sprinkle white sesame seeds on top and serve immediately.
- Always deep fry the luqaimat dumplings just before serving and toss over honey when the dumplings are hot.
- The authentic way to toss the luqaimat dumplings is with a syrup made with sugar, water, orange blossom water, rose water and honey. I prefer just honey (when pressed for time which is the case always) as its easy and adds a sticky texture and good taste.
- I have used instant yeast here, in case you are using dry yeast. Add sugar and 1/4 cup luck warm water to the yeast and dissolve. Set aside to foam and rise. Then mix with the flour and remaining luck warm water.