Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 to 25 minutes
Serving : 4 members
Pondicherry style chicken gravy . This dish very own to the sunshine union territory of Pondicherry was brought by Bharathi rathi , for the recipe swap get together on the first anniversary of sauté , fry n bake but she had made it with mutton . Having so much of work to do for the anniversary celebration , this recipe was not written on the file of recipes I distributed that day , nor did i take a picture and I didn’t get to taste it as well because it was cleanly wiped of before I could start my lunch . So I made it again with chicken , when I had my boy Afzar come home two days before eid ul azha . It was a very aromatic delicious gravy and liked the fact that there was no coconut or nuts used to thicken the gravy .this home style classic is a true union of taste and incomparable flavour that shows the varied cuisine of our country . I first got to meet Bharathi in the gym and it took nearly a
Week for us to start talking to each other . Once we started now there is no stopping as we talk for hours and hours in person and over the phone nearly every day and we are the best of buddies . When sauté , fry n bake was 299 likes , she asked one of her friends to give a like just for the sake of the little joy that I get and is the best critic of sauté, fry n bake . Bharathi was the last person to come for the get together but she has to be excused as she had to come along with her three month old baby boy . Her elder boy Shri maan was like “why did you leave me and go to Hazeena aunties house ??” that evening after he was back from school . I pop up with utter joy every time I get to see Shri maan with his huge round shy , blushing eyes :-)) .
Ingredients for step 1
|Small onions||one hand|
|Tomatoes||2 big chopped|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Dry red chillies||6|
|Oil||1 1/2 tablespoons|
Method for step 1
- Heat oil and fry each mentioned above ingredient until it gets roasted and let’s out its aroma separately .
- Cool completely and grind together.
Ingredients for step 2
|Chicken / mutton||1/2 kg ,|
|Ginger paste||1/4 teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1/4 teaspoon|
Method for step 2
- Mix all the above ingredients together and cook until the meat is cooked along with little water .
Ingredients for step 3
|Oil||2 to 3 tablespoons|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||1 string|
|Curry masala powder||2 tablespoons or coriander powder|
Method for step 3
- Heat oil in a non stick kadai . Add curry leaves , fennel seeds and bay leaf .
- Top with the curry masala powder and the ground masala paste . Fry until oil floats on top .
- Add the boiled meat with the water and mix well . Bring to boil . Simmer until oil separates and serve hot .
- Can add potatoes and green peas with the meat and make a gravy for chapathis or any rotis .
- The water added can be adjusted according to the gravy consistency you want it to be , running or semi thick .
- Vegetarians can do the same by substituting potatoes , green peas or any other veggie of your choice .