Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 50 minutes
Serves : 6 members
Any innovative recipes my mind thinks about.. it automatically works only with non – vegetarian. My mind comes to a stand still when it comes to vegetarian food. I make sure to invite friends over on days that they have non – vegetarian so I am at ease to come up with a feast spread menu. To break this in me, now a days once in every five non – vegetarian recipes I come up with one vegetarian recipe in between. This was one such recipe where I have made a fusion of combining two authentic recipes of my mother – in – laws as one. The cauliflower 65 and the tomato biriyani as one dish. The reimaged new, exciting versions of themselves was divine. The biriyani was a burst with a satisfying plop on our plates. Not our plate’s but plantain leaves as I served it in a typical South Indian style. Once in a while I love to dine the old fashioned way with all raised eyebrows when seeing a pop of green colour on the table. Me and my non – stop crazy foodie adventures to give all memorable moments of food and family togetherness.
Ingredients for cauliflower- 65
|Cauliflower||1 big flower cleaned whole|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/4 teaspoon each|
|Chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Pepper powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Lime juice||1/2 lime|
|Orange Red food colour||a pinch|
|Egg||1 ( optional)|
|Oil||to deep fry|
|Onion||1 sliced to rounds|
- Grind all the ingredients together except for the cauliflower and oil to deep fry to a smooth paste.
- Marinate cleaned cauliflower flower let’s in the masala paste for 3 or more hours.
- Heat oil to deep fry in a heavy bottomed pan. Fry cauliflowers in batches for 5 minutes.
- First 1 minute on high heat and then on medium heat for 4 minutes. This way you get a crisp out side and a soft, moist cooked cauliflowers inside.
- Keep aside.
Ingredients for biriyani
|Basmati rice||2 cup|
|Tomatoes||1/4 kg Blanched , skin peeled and ground|
|Green chillies||5 Slit|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece Powdered|
|Ginger and garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coconut paste||one hand ground|
|Coriander leaves||2 tablespoons Chopped|
Method for biriyani
- Cut a cross in the bottom of each whole tomato making sure the other end is intact together.
- Drop the tomatoes into hot water and set aside for 5 minutes. Remove from the hot water and cool, reserving the hot water that can be used to cook the rice.( in case you are pressed for time drop the tomatoes into ice cold water)peel the skin and blitz in a food processor to a purée.
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Top with sliced onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes until onions are golden brown in colour.
- Add ginger and garlic paste diluted in little water and fry until raw smell has gone for about 4 minutes.
- Add green chillies and tomato purée. Keep stirring occasionally until oil floats on top.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt to taste, powdered cinnamon and cloves. Mix well adding water.
- Add coconut paste and mix well. Check seasoning and bring to boil.
- Drain the soaked basmati rice and add to the boiling water along with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix once gently making sure not to break the soaked basmati rice. Cover with lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle in high heat. Wait for the whistle to subside.
- Add the fried cauliflower with chopped coriander leaves over the cooked rice. Toss gently. Serve hot with boondhi raitha and paped.