Preparation time : 30 minutes + 3 hours for doubling the dough
Cooking time : 10 -12 minutes
Serves : 8 members
The first recipe that my co-sister Farzana wrote in my first hand written cook book around 20 years back. This is her grand mother’s recipe that I got to know through her. I had never heard of a bun recipe that’s steamed ever before. I remember she being a new bride,we had her relatives visit her very often and every time they would come with some authentic home made goodies. I used to wait to check out what new goodies are gifted each time. Her grand mother is a Malaysian,so their food is dominated with a lot of Malaysian dishes. This bun recipe is also a Malaysian dish. I got to taste a similar steamed bun on my trip to Japan but that had sweet red kidney beans filling inside. Well I guess this concept of steaming buns is a very Asian thing as I got to know even the Chinese steam buns for their new year. The universal bun that’s taken its different avatar’s through out the world. I am happy I got to learn a new technique of steaming buns and the various countries that it’s made. I may have shared thousands of recipes with you all but this one is the most special as it’s the first documented recipe of mine.
Ingredients for sweet filling :
|Grated coconut||2 cups|
|Cardamom powder||1/4 teaspoon|
Method for filling:
- Mix all the filling ingredients together.
Ingredients for the bun :
|All purpose Flour / maida||1/2 kg|
|Vegetable oil||5 grams|
|Milk powder||2 tablespoons|
|Ice water||1/2 cup|
|Powdered sugar||2 tablespoons|
|Instant yeast||11 grams|
Method for buns :
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients together and knead to a smooth dough for ten minutes. Cover the dough with a wet cloth and set aside for three hours to double in size.
- Punch the dough down to remove air. Knead the dough. Make medium size even balls out of the dough. Keep aside covered with a wet cloth for another one hour.
- Flatten each ball to Palm size discs. Place desired filling in the center. Bring the edges of the dough towards the middle and roll to a bun with no cracks. Place the filled buns over cut foil paper squares.
- Heat a steaming pot with water. Place the stuffed buns with the foil paper below and steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot,warm or cold.
These buns can be filled with savory filling of choice too.