Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serving : 10 members
The best Indian snak loved by all . This is a punjabi samosa , which has a potato filling inside usually and a soft lightly crisp cover . The South Indian samosa that we serve during the fasting time , always with non – veg filling that is very spicy and has a crisp cover . In my hubby’s place they call the punjabi samosa as somas and the South Indian samosa as samsa . ( funny isn’t it , no offence Nellai people ) when I was newly married had a terrible time understanding the Tamil spoken at my hubby’s place . At moms place our Tamil is 3/4 Malayam and 1/4 Tamil as we hail from Palghat and live in Coimbatore . I used to be teased a lot about my Tamil back then . The Tamil that they talk in tirunelveli is the purest form of Tamil ( that’s what my mother – in – law says ) . What ever I have improved a lot of my Tamil only after I got married from talking , reading and writing . Thanks to tirunelveli for that .
Ingredients for Dough
|maida(refined flour)||500 gm|
|ghee or oil||1/2 cup|
|oil||to deep fry samosa|
Ingredients for Tempering
|cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|red chilli powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|coriander leaves||1 tablespoon|
|green peas||1/3 cup|
|chaat masala powder||2 teaspoon|
|fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|garam masala||1/2 teaspoon|
|cashew nuts||2 tablespoon (chopped)|
|potatoes||500gm (boiled and peeled)|
- Chop the green chillies, ginger and the coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough except water and rub thoroughly.
- Sprinkle water and make a hard dough. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into round portions as per the size of the samosas required.
- Heat the ghee and add cumin, when crackling add ginger and saute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients excluding the final four and sauté for five minutes.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, including the potatoes and mix well.
- Roll each portion of dough into a thin oval shape cut into 2 semi-circles.
- Take a semi-circle. Apply water on the straight edge of the semi-circle. Hold the semi-circle in your hand, fold the straight edge, bringing together the watered edges, seal the watered edges into a triangular pocket.
- Stuff the potato mixture and then seal the upper edges.
- Repeat with the rest. Deep fry in oil till golden brown and serve.