Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
Serving : 6 members
Fried Idli . A fusion dish (indo – chinese)that i learnt initially when i started to cook from my hubby’s aunt Bismi amma. She had invited us over for Breakfast when i was newly married. The first tought that came to my mind when i saw the dish was, it must be some chinese style chicken dish (I was like , how can you eat fried chicken for breakfast)even after they served and i tasted it also , i could not figure out what it was . Finally Bismi amma told me it was idlis. I was so surprised, that idlis could taste so good . I took note of the recipe then and there . From then on its a regular dish at home. Any left over idlis or hard idlis are surely changed into fried idlis.Who ever i have served this dish to have loved it and have never guessed that its made out of idlis.
Ingredients for Batter
Idlis – 10 , cut into 4 cubes
Ingredients for Sauce
|tomatoes||5 big ground to a smooth paste|
|onions||4 big fried in 1 teaspoon oil to brown in colour and ground to a smooth paste|
|ginger garlic paste||1/2 teaspoon each|
|oil||to deep fry + 2 tablespoons|
|cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|chilli powder||1 1-4 teaspoon|
|ajinomoto||a pinch ( optional )|
|tomato sauce||1 cup|
|red food color||a pinch ( optional , I didn't use in this dish on the picture )|
Ingredients to Garnish
|green chillies||2 cut into thin long strips|
|coriander leaves||few chopped|
Method for Batter
- Mix all the ingredients together for the batter to get a semi loose consistency batter .
- Heat oil to deep fry in a wok . Dip the cubed idli pieces one at a time into the batter and drop into the hot oil .
- Fry to a light golden brown color and crisp . Drain and set aside .
Method for Sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauce pan . Add cumin seeds and chopped onion and fry to brown .
- Top with ginger garlic paste and fry to crisp . Add the ground tomato purée and fry till raw smell vanishes . Oil should float on top .
- Add the fried onion paste . Mix well and sauté for 2 minutes . Top with chilli powder , sugar , salt to taste , ajinomoto ( optional ) , red food colour ( optional ) and tomato sauce .
- Mix well adding 1/4 cup or more water to get a thick flowing consistency sauce .
- Boil the sauce for 2 to 4 minutes allowing all the flavours to infuse together in medium heat as the sauce tends to sputter all around . Taste and adjust .
- Mix the fried idlis just before serving with the re heated sauce . Garnish with green chillies and coriander leaves .
- Serve hot immediately .