Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 12 -15 minutes
Serving : 4 members
Beet root borscht . This is a clear hot soup originated from Ukraine . This hearty and delicious soup is known as red borscht because the beet root gives it a deep red hue . Simple to make , it’s cooked in oil , and features no cream , cheese , or thickening agent . Add all vegetables you want , and let the soup simmer until it is thick and gives out a wonderful aroma and color . Serve it bubbling hot , garnished with curd and celery and accompanied by toasted whole wheat bread , multigrain bread or just normal plain bread . This borscht is light on your tummy and goes swiftly out of sight . I made this borscht on a rainy day (this borscht is a winter soup ) because of the eye catching color it has and is really healthy to . Found the original recipe to be too bland so my twist was to add orange juice to spike up the taste with a bit of fruitiness along with sourness . Habit’s don’t stick if they are joyless and healthy decadence needn’t be an oxymoron . Well food has to be a pleasure , not an obligation . Right ???
|Beet root grated||3/4 cup|
|Onion||1/3 cup thinly sliced|
|Potato||1/2 cup thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1/2 cup grated|
|Cabbage||3/4 cup shredded|
|Tomato||1/2 cup thinly sliced|
|Stock cube||1 ( chicken or vegetarian ) - I used maggi chicken cube|
|Orange juice||2 oranges|
|Olive oil||1 teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||to taste|
|Water||3 cups or more|
Ingredients for garnishing
|Sour cream / hung curd||2 tablespoons|
|Celery / parsley||4 teaspoon chopped|
To serve along – Toasted bread .
- Heat oil in a deep non – stick pan . Add onions and saute on a medium flame for one minute .
- Add beer root , potatoes , carrots , cabbage and tomatoes . Mix well and saute on a medium flame for another two minutes .
- Add 3 cups of water along with the stock cube . Mix well and simmer for 5-7 minutes , stirring continuously .
- Once the vegetables are cooked , pour the orange juice , season with salt ( be careful with salt as the stock cube contains a lot of salt ) and pepper to taste . Mix well . Taste and adjust .
- Serve hot garnished with sour cream / hung curd and chopped celery .