Preparation Time : 35 minutes + 1 hour for Marination
Cooking Time :6 to 8 minutes for each batch of prawns fried
Serving : 8 members
Any thing prepared at home in prawns is a favourite to all except for my daughter ANISHA . ( as mentioned before a pure Vegetarian in a Muslim household ????? ) I remember the small prawns that my grand ma ( moms mom Sabiya perima , Payya as we address her now ) used to make fried in coconut oil during my holidays in Palghat . I miss every bit of those holidays and my grand father . ( he is no more , the best grand father anyone would dream to have , miss you periyatha ) he used to wake up all cousins early in the morning , dump us in his ambassador Car (would stop in between and we cousins had to push the car from behind ) and go to the market . What ever we wanted was bought and prepared on that day itself from chicken , mutton , fish , prawn the list would go on and on . Wonder how my grand mom cooked and catered to all our needs , we were a huge gang of people in all age groups .
|cleaned prawns with tail||1 kg|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|chilli powder||1 1/2 tablespoon|
|coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|coconut oil||2 tablespoons|
|water||enough to bind the masala .|
- Grind the above together except for cleaned prawns and marinate the cleaned prawns for one hour.
|rice flour||3 tablespoons|
- Make a smooth paste mixing all the ingredients together . Bajji batter consistency and set aside .
|Sooji ( rawa)||1/2 cup|
|bread crumbs||1/2 cup|
|chilli flakes||to taste|
- Mix all the ingredients together and set aside take the marinated prawns and dip into the egg , rice flour batter .
- Then coat the dipped prawns in rawa , bread crumbs mixture .
- Coat well on all sides leaving the tail . Do the same with the remaining prawns . Refrigerate for 10 minutes .
- Deep fry in hot oil over medium heat till crisp and golden brown in colour . Drain . Serve hot .
- Can give a garnish with crisp fried green chillies and chopped coriander leaves along with lime wedges . It tastes yum as it is .