Preparation Time : 1 Hour
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Serving : 6 members
Trotters or goats legs soup . A regular dish at home from my childhood days but every region has its own variation and recipe . The one at moms place is black in colour as they add ground pepper and cumin to the soup , my hubby’s place it is pale yellow colour . I am posting the recipe that I learnt from my hubby’s place . ( moms recipe will be posted later ) remember as a kid myself and my brother used to call it jelly meat . my brother darvesh was and is also a very poor eater ( his elder son dyab is just like him in looks , behaviour , habits mainly food habits ). mom used to feed him till he started going to higher school . Moms aim was to have a chubby son but her dreams are not full filled till date . Her grand sons dyab and aniq ( my nephews , brothers sons ) are skinny too but my boy Afzar was and is a huge chubby fellow . He is a great foodie like me . He loves his paya soup so very much from as a 3 year old kid . I had gone to Colombo acommaping my hubby on a business trip leaving my boy Afzar at moms place in Coimbatore .my bro and my boy had dinner first . It was aattukal soup for dinner . my brother served my boy first and he started eating . My boy wanted a second helping of soup , 3 rd helping, 4 th helping ,5 th helping and the 6 th helping all the trotters pieces were over . ( nothing left for my parents also ) .my boy wanting more started howling , shouting crying out and rolling on the ground . My bro not knowing what to do , just put the eaten waste bones into the soup again and served him . After my trip , my bro was like next time you leave your son with us we will have to sell our property to feed him ..
|Trotters ( goats legs )||4 (each cut into 4 pieces)|
|Small onions||one hand full chopped + 4 to temper|
|Tomato||1 small chopped|
|Poppy seeds||100 grams ground|
|Cumin powder||30 grams|
|Pepper powder||25 grams|
|Coriander powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Fennel powder||2 pinch|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/4 teaspoon each|
- Pressure cook cleaned trotters in 1 1/2 litters of water for 10 whistles .
- Add chopped small onion and tomatoes and pressure cook for another one whistle .
- Top with ground poppy seeds , coriander powder , chilly powder , cumin powder , pepper powder , fennel powder and salt to taste .
- Mix well and bring to boil . Taste and adjust . Heat ghee , add cinnamon , cloves and cardamom .
- Once they crackle top with small onion and ginger garlic paste . Sauté till the ginger garlic paste crisps up . Pour over the soup and mix well .
- Serve hot with kal dosa ( thick dosa ) .