Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 4 to 6 members
A mind bobbling yummy vegetarian gravy dish very own to the Pillai community people of tirunelveli . I first had this dish at my father – in – laws Elder brothers house . This dish is usually served with iddiappam or boiled rice . The side dish for Sothi is enggi pachadi ( ginger chuntny ) . I am a very bad vegetarian . I used to hate the sight of vegetables on my plate . I did my schooling in a boarding school . Our diet was so balanced so the amount of vegetables served to us was a lot . Every table of 10 children had a teacher sitting with us to check if we ate well and right . To add upon this check we had a duty teacher who used come at the end of every meal to check if any thing was not consumed by us . Was way too much irritating then but I thank all my teachers and mam ellasama thomas specially who did this to us . Now , even I follow a diet chart at home very similar to school with 2 vegetables for lunch and a fruit after lunch .
|Carrot||1 big cubied|
|potato||1 big cubied|
|beans||5 cut into 1 inch long pieces|
|drum stick||1 cut into finger length pieces|
|small onions||1 hand full cut into half|
|green chillies||6 slit|
|moong dal||50 gm|
|thin coconut milk||2 cups|
|thick coconut milk||1 cup|
|roasted chick pea powder ( chuntny dal or pottu kadalai as we call in Tamil )||4 teaspoons|
|coconut oil||4 tablespoons|
|cummin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|curry leaves||1 strand|
- Pressure cook carrot , potato , beans , small onion , green chillies , moong dal along with little water enough to cook the vegetable and dal for one whistle .
- Boil the drum stick with salt seperately . Add boiled drum stick to the vegetables .
- Pour think coconut milk and simmer mixing well . Mix roasted chick pea powder with thick coconut milk making sure no lumps are formed .
- Pour over the simmering vegetables and mix well to get a thick pouring consistency gravy of pale yellow colour .
- Add salt to taste . Taste and adjust . Remove from heat .
- Do not boil the gravy as the coconut milk might curdle . Heat coconut oil add cumin seeds and curry leaves .
- Once they crackle , pour over the Sothi and mix well .
- Serve hot with iddiappam or boiled rice .