Preparation Time : 40 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 6 to 8 minutes
Iddiappam tokku sevai. A delight to the vegetarians which is a one box meal. This dish will surely be easy to pull of at home. All the ingredients in this dish compliment each other well that it helps to add more taste to the dish. A dish which my elder mother – in – law(my father-in -laws elder brothers wife)Mrs. Mahmudha sent over to my place once. She’s become a vegetarian by choice recently.A very knowledgeable lady as she has travelled a lot. she keeps experimenting in her kitchen as i do but with a lot of vegetarian dishes now a days. The word Iddiappam was new to me when i first heard it while on a excursion trip from school to mysore.We were taken to a Restaurant for Dinner and served South Indian Meals.Most of the North Indian senior girls wanted a tiffin item instead so they asked for iddiappam.After that once i was married to Nellai the word iddiappam was mentioned again.Curious to know what it was, to my surprise it was the nool puttu that we make at home so often.
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece
|Green chillies||2 slit|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/2 teaspoon each|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 teaspoon ,|
|Thick coconut milk||1/2 cup|
|Coriander leaves||few chopped|
|Cow gram( also known as cow peas , karamani in Tamil )||1/4 cup boiled|
|Carrot||1 big grated|
- Heat oil add cinnamon and cloves . Once they crackle top with onions and fry to brown in colour .
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry to crisp . Top with tomatoes and green chillies and sauté till the tomatoes lets out all its juices and gets to a thick cooked gravy .
- Add turmeric powder , chilli powder and salt to taste . Mix well . Sauté for a minute . Top with thick coconut milk , mix well and bring to boil .
- Simmer for 3 minutes or until oil floats on top . Cool the tokku gravy completely . Shred the iddiappam and mix it with the gravy to get a lightly moistened iddiappam which is coated well with the tokku gravy .
- Be careful as the Iddiappam should not be mixed with a lot of gravy and get soggy . Garnish with boiled cow gram , grated carrot and chopped coriander leaves .
- Toss well . Serve hot .