Preparation Time : 1 hour 45 -50 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes for the filling + 18 – 20 minutes to bake the sunflower pizza.
Serving : 8 members
This sunflower pizza was inspired by a step by step picture I came a cross in the world wide net ( the same step by step picture that I have posted here as well ) I just followed the simple yet ingenious picture tutorial to get the sunflower shape right but the bread recipe and the filling recipe are the ones I follow at home always . Only while baking this sunflower pizza did I realize that with a bit of baking skills you can produce virtually any baked goodies you like to impress . For instance this recipe is a sunflower shaped bread with pizza filling for which I employed the simple bread recipe and right after that developed a sunflower shaped masterpiece. It’s a festive recipe, because of the bread’s special form, so it will be perfect as a center piece to entertain guests and loved ones . You can add any filling you want to your choice and tucking into the melting cheesy sunflower pizza is soul satisfying for sure .
Ingredients for the filling
|Minced lamb / chicken||¼ kg|
|2 medium sized onion||2 chopped|
|Chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Mixed chopped vegetables ( mushrooms , carrots , beans , capsicum , cabbage )||1 cup|
|Chilli flakes||to taste|
|Dried herbs ( oregano + basil ) ||1/4 teaspoon each|
|Ginger and garlic crushed||1/ 4 teaspoon each|
|Coriander leaves||chopped few|
Method for filling
- In a pressure cooker put the minced meat along with chilli powder , pepper powder , crushed ginger garlic , salt and little water .
- Let it cook up to two whistles . heat oil , saute the chopped onions to translucent .add the chopped mixed vegetables and saute to half cooked then add the cooked minced meat and cook to dry .
- Taste and adjust seasoning . Garnish with coriander leaves and dried herbs and chilli flakes .
- Cool completely and set aside .
Ingredients for dough recipe
|All purpose flour||2 cups|
|Warm milk||¾ cup|
|Instant yeast||1 teaspoon|
|Baking powder||a pinch|
|Egg (lightly beaten and divided in half)||1|
|Melted butter||1 tablespoon|
|Milk powder||1 tablespoon|
Method for dough recipe
- Sieve the flour , add milk powder , baking powder, sugar, yeast and salt.Then add the oil, butter and half the egg (reserve the other half for brushing the bread later) and mix together.
- Now add the milk gradually whilst kneading. You might not need it all, so add it sparingly until your dough is nice and soft.
- If more milk is needed to get a soft dough consistency, warm a little more and use. Knead for a good 8-10 minutes. The more you knead the softer the bread results will be.
- Touch a bit of oil with your fingertips and apply all over the ball of dough. Cover in a bowl and set aside for 40 mins to an hour for it to double in size.
How to proceed
- Punch the doubled dough down and roll the entire dough into a perfect round shaped circle to 1/4 inch thickness using a rolling pin .place the rolled circle over a greased / parchment paper or foil lined baking tray . Apply little melted butter all around the rolled circle .
- Place a bottle cap in the center of the round circle and take a medium size round lid with sharp edges ( I used a stainless steel round lid ) of any container and place above the bottle cap in the center and make an impression with the lid .
- Remove the bottle cap and the lid . Cut inwards of the medium circle that we created with the medium lid to 8 equal triangles like we cut a pizza . Make sure you have an outer ring border of the rolled circle .
- Apply generous amount of tomato sauce all around the outer ring border leaving a 1/4 inch of the rolled circle as a border again .
- Top with cooled filling all around the tomato sauce ring . Garnish the filling all around with grated cheese .
- Take each cut triangle from the inner circle and bring it outwards tucking the tip of the triangle into the outer rim border . Follow and do the same to all the remaining triangles to get a sunflower shape . Brush with a little melted butter again all over the top of the dough .
- Cover with a light kitchen towel and allow the buns to rest for about 30 minutes to allow them to expand again slightly.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven at 180 C. Brush the remaining half egg over the bread and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until the buns are done and golden.
- Remove and brush them with some butter, keep them covered with a kitchen towel to retain their softness until time for serving.
- The filling can be made with veggies , cheese , panneer , fish , prawn or anything to your taste .
- Sweet fillings can also be used for the sweet version .
- Store the sunflower pizza in the refrigerator in an air tight container and steam – microwave before serving for a minute . Best served and had on the day made and can be stored for the next day not more than that .
- This is the best ever bread recipe I have come across and I follow it for any recipe that demands to bake bread … So peeps don’t forget to book mark the bread recipe .