Preparation time : 40 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour – 30 minutes
Serves : 6 members
Experimenting with new types of biriyani is my daughter’s favourite time pass. At home hubby dear being loyal to the authentic mutton biriyani, a new avatar biriyani is not welcome at all. When I need a break, I try new versions of the biriyani only on hubby dears absence to refine some of my cheffy skills cranking up the fun in the kitchen. This one also was done so. My love for kofta’s ( kola ) made me try this by adding a twist of cheese to them. With fingers crossed, tasted and my first mouth full, I felt the perfect balance of flavour’s, textures and taste that satisfied my cravings taking me on a wild delicious flavour trip. This brilliantly versatile biriyani did awaken me about a contemporary Appeal that can be done to an Indian staple in incredible ways. After all…. Isn’t variety the spice of life?
Ingredients for kola urundai
|Boneless raw chicken||1/4 kg ground to a smooth paste with out water|
|Bread slices||2 blitz to a coarse powder with out adding water|
|Coriander leaves||1 tablespoon chopped|
|Grated cheese||2 tablespoons|
|Chilli flakes||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1/2 teaspoon|
Method for kola urundai
- Mix all the above ingredients together. Check seasoning and keep aside.
Ingredients for gravy
|Tomato||3 big chopped|
|Green chillies||10 slit|
|Coriander leaves||3 tablespoons chopped|
|Mint leaves||3 tablespoons|
|Ginger and garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Lime juice||1/2 a lime|
Method for gravy
- Heat ghee. Top with cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Once they crackle add onions and sauté to golden in colour.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Sauté to crisp. Top with tomato, salt, green chillies, coriander leaves and mint.
- Sauté until tomatoes break down and ghee floats on top.
- Top with turmeric powder and red chilly powder along with 2 and 1/2 cups of hot water. Bring to boil.
- Make lemon size balls out of the chicken kola mix. Drop into the gravy.
- Shake the vessel so that the kolas roll over and cook evenly on all sides for five minutes on high flame and five minutes on low flame.
- Add lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
Ingredients for biriyani
|Basmathi rice||2 and 1/4 cup boiled with water and salt to 3/4 cooked|
|Rose essence||2 drops|
Method for biriyani
- Mix all the ingredients together mentioned under the biriyani ingredients.
- Layer a heavy bottomed vessel with mixed rice 2 ladles. Place 6-8 kolas over with 2 ladles of gravy.
- Repeat the layers until all the rice and kola gravy is over.
- Cover the vessel. Place over a hot griddle / tawa on medium heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Serve hot with onion raitha.