Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 40 minutes
Serving : 6 – 8 members
Vellai kurma as we call it at home is an authentic korma of the ravuthar community mainly in coimbatore , palghat region . Made with rich ingredients but lightly spiced , flavoured and white in colour . The colour is , from where this korma gets its name vellai meaning white in Tamil . A dish i have grown up being fed and pampered with , That always brings a taste of happiness to me . This is My maternal grand mother , sabiya perimas recipe and is mainly made for VIP guests at home . My dads mom balkees perima hates this lightly spiced korma and I have memories of her grumbling about this korma when ever I ask her to make this for me . Guess her grumblings were because its my maternal grand mothers recipe more than she hating it . The rivalry between my grand mothers for their lovely grand children is another story :-)) . At home even I make this korma only when I have VIP guests or for both the Eids .last month when my maternal uncle shanu from bangalore came home to visit me , made this korma and he was like …” I literally for got this dish Akka ( :-)) yes , he is younger to me !!! ) you took me back in time ” and he enjoyed it . I was pleased that this cheery korma made my uncles meal a lot more memorable with its age old connection we share with it and I got to generously pamper his taste buds as my grand mother did to me .
|Green chillies||15 slit|
|Turmeric powder||2 pinches|
|Fennel powder||1 tablespoon|
|Lime juice||1/2 a lime|
|Onions||2 sliced thinly|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|Tomato||1 very small , chopped|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Ghee / oil||4 tablespoons ( ghee is used authentically )|
Ingredients to grind
|Coconut grated||1/2 a coconut|
|Poppy seeds||2 tablespoons|
|Cashew nuts||1/2 hand|
- Grind together to a smooth paste.
- Ghee ghee in a pressure cooker . Add cinnamon , cloves and cardamom .
- Once they crackle , add onions and fry to translucent and a pale pink colour .
- Top with ginger and garlic paste . When light brown add mutton , turmeric powder , green chillies , tomato ,salt and fennel powder .
- Saute for a few minutes until the mutton changes colour . Add water , enough to sink the meat .
- Mix well and pressure cook until cooked through for about 5 whistles .To the boiled mutton add the ground coconut masala . Bring to boil .
- Garnish with lime juice and chopped coriander leaves .Taste and adjust .
- The consistency should be semi thick and flowing . Serve hot with parota , iddiappam , appam , idli , dosa . Anything and every thing .
Can do the same with chicken , and can add potatoes along with the mutton and chicken .Vegetarians can do the same with potatoes alone