Preparation Time : 30 minutes + 3 hours for marination
Cooking Time : 3-5 minutes for each batch deep fried
Serveing : 2-3 members
Never ever have I tasted any bird other than chicken before . Oops forgot , once as a kid on a Christmas holiday remember having turkey biriyani in Bangalore with my school buddies Liju and Julie . Once married , my entire in – laws family always rave about eating other sort of birds which I found to be very wired . In fact we did have a man ( koravan – addressed so because of the sect of people known locally here . ) who used to source us with birds . But that didn’t last long as hunting was banned and my folks went out of source . Then came the new breed of quails that were grown in poultry farms called Japan quail that alighted all at home . From then on the quail is on the menu once a week at least . This recipe is one such that is being served to our carnivores family . Very simple recipe . Just that the more longer you let it marinate, the more robust the flavour becomes . The crisp crust and the succulent meat inside will sure make you reach for another helping soon enough . I always add this dish to the menu when I need to breath life into a staid lunch with a dab of These on the plate to treat the taste buds with no complaints as food is to be enjoyed and to me cooking is primarily about making other happy .
|Cleaned quill||1/2 kg whole ( around 2 quills ) ,|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|Chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Curd||1/4 cup ,|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Pepper powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Lime juice||1/2 lime|
|Orange Red food colour||a pinch|
|Oil||to deep fry|
|Onion||1 sliced to rounds|
- Grind all the ingredients together except for the quill to a smooth paste .
- Marinate chicken in the masala paste for 3 or more hours . Heat oil to deep fry in a heavy bottomed pan .
- Fry quill one at a time for 5- 7 minutes . First 2 minutes on high heat and then on medium heat for 5 minutes .
- This way you get a crisp out side and a soft , moist cooked flesh inside . Once the quill is fried ,
- sprinkle a few curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds , Drain .
- Garnish with sliced onions and lemon wedges over the quill 65 and serve hot .