Preparation Time : 1 hour
Cooking Time : 35 minutes
Serving : 8 members
Recipe source : Pavithra elangovan
Ingredients for the Layered cover
|Rice flour||1 teaspoon|
|Oil||to deep fry|
Method for the layered covering
Mix all the ingredients together mentioned above for the layered covering. Add little water and knead to a dough that is slightly stiffer than a chapathi dough. Keep aside covered for fifteen minutes.
Ingredients for Filling
|Boneless chicken||1/4 kg|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/4 teaspoon each|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Onions||5 big chopped|
|Green chillies||4 chopped|
|Mixed vegetables - carrots , beans , cabbage , green peas chopped and boiled in water with salt||1 cup|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||one hand chopped|
|Pepper powder||to taste|
Method for chicken filling
- Pressure cook cleaned chicken , salt , turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and little water for one whistle.
- Bring to boil and Reduce the water. Cool completely and shred the chicken to treads ( I run it in the food processor for a second ).
Heat oil in a non stick board pan. Add onions and fry to translucent.
- Add green chilies, boiled chopped mixed vegetables, shredded chicken, mint leaves, coriander leaves, salt, garam masala powder and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and lower the flame and keep stirring for 3 minutes letting all the flavours infuse together. Remove from heat, cool and set aside.
Other ingredients to brush in between each layer of disc
|Ghee / oil||1/2 teaspoon for each layer|
|Rice flour||1 teaspoon for each layer|
How to proceed
- Divide the dough into equal five lemon size balls. Roll each ball into 8 1/2 to 9 inch equal circles. Brush 1/2 teaspoon ghee on one side of the first rolled round disc.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon rice flour on top of the brushed ghee. Slightly rub it all over.Place another rolled disc on top and do the same with ghee and rice flour.
- Stack all the five rolled discs with applying ghee and sprinkling rice flour in between each disc. Once they are stacked up , using a rolling pin,slightly roll with little pressure to get even circles.
- Make sure not to give too much pressure. Starting from one end make a tight roll.Cut the tight roll into 10-11 equal one inch thick slices.Dust rice flour on one slice, with out using much pressure roll with a rolling pin to 3- 3 1/2 inch disc.
- Fill with 1 1/4 teaspoon of cooled filling in the centre. Apply water around the edges. Close to get a semi circle.starting from the left corner,pinch the edges together.
- Make a swirl inwards towards right angle. Do the same until you reach the other edge to get a twisted pattern on the edges and sealing the filling.
- Do the same to all the slices and filling. Heat oil to deep fry.Deep fry in low medium heat until both sides are golden brown in batches of 3 to 4 at a time.
- Drain over absorbent paper. Serve hot as it is with no dips .
- Place the tightly rolled log in the refrigerator for ten minutes and then cut into discs.
- Doing so the ghee and roll dough get a bit firm making it easy for us to work.
- Place the cut discs also in the refrigerator for five minutes and then roll,so the layered stay intact when rolling and filling.
- You can use flour to sprinkle in between each rolled disc but rice flour gives a crispy cover.
- The same can be done with a sweet filling with fried grated coconut , fried cashew nuts + raisins , poppy seeds.Cool and add sugar to taste with cardamom powder.
- You can make a mince meat filling substituting the chicken in the recipe.