Preparation Time : 20 minutes + 2 hours for marination
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serving : 6 members
My brother and myself love Chinese food . We had a Chinese restaurent near our home in Coimbatore called Kowloon . Any opportunity we get to eat out we will make sure we end up there . What we order would be standard always . the shezwan chicken used to taste awesome . Once we had a get together at home with many guests coming over for dinner . We wanted to prepare a Chinese menu . My mom ( an over smart sofesticated lady by nature , my bro and myself don’t have that in us ) bribed the cook from the Kowloon restaurent and got him to cook the menu at home . I did take note of every thing the cook prepared and till date do follow it religiously . This recipe is also from the chef of Kowloon restaurent . I have another interesting story related to Kowloon restaurent . My brother in law nawaz is the same age as me . He did his collage in Coimbatore . My brother and my brother – in – law used to hang around a lot back then . Once they went to Kowloon restaurent restaurent for dinner . Finished dinner and paid the bill . As they were coming out of the restaurent , the waiter ran towards them and gave my brother – in – law a one rupee coin in hand . My brother not knowing what was happening stood blinking . My bother – in – law had kept a one rupee coin as a tip for the waiter .we have a great laugh over this incident till date .
|Boneless chicken cubed||1/4 kg|
|flour ( maida )||1/4 cup|
|white pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|ajinomoto||1 pinch + 1 pinch ( optional )|
|oil||4 tablespoons + to deep fry|
|capsicum||1 big cubed|
|ginger||1 inch piece crushed|
|garlic||3 flakes crushed|
|tomato sauce||4 tablespoons|
|sweet chilli sauce||2 teaspoons|
|light soya sauce||1/2 teaspoon|
|chilli flakes||1 tablespoon|
|red chilli sauce||1 teaspoon|
- Marinate cleaned chicken pieces in cornflour , flour , egg whites , white pepper , salt to taste and a pinch of ajinomoto for 2 hours .
- Deep fry the marinated chicken pieces in hot oil to a light golden brown . Drain and set aside .
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large wok . Add crushed garlic and ginger , fry for 1/2 a minute .
- Top with cubed onions and capsicum . Sauté for a minute .
- Lower the flame to medium and add all the other ingredients except for the fried chicken pieces . Mix well and bring to boil . Taste and adjust .
- The sauce should taste sweet , sour and hot . Add the fried chicken pieces and toss well for about 4 minutes allowing all the flavours and sauce to infuse into the chicken .
- Remove from heat and serve hot .