Preparation Time : soaking of rajma over night + 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 40 minutes
Serving : 4 members
Rajma masala . A mouth smacking north – Indian vegetarian delight gravy . The velvety tomato onion based gravy that coats the soft rajma’s are Devine .at home I use boiled rajma just for breakfast alone to add a source of protein in take .the colour of the dish might put you of but the taste will do the rest . I ended up trying this dish when i had to prepare a vegetarian lunch for a north – indian friend of mine . she is placed in nellai for now as her hubby is a government officer .poor her , she misses every bit of north – India and her main problem being no one knowing Hindi in Nellai . I surprised her with a spread of a typical North Indian vegetarian menu . She went head over heels with this rajma masala and paneer stir fry with capsicums . Was so very nervous about serving North Indian food to a North Indian . Was glorified with her remarks and she wanted every thing on the table packed for her hubby . With a big Relief was happy that I did my job well . Now , This gravy has become a staple at home With another bowl of goodness added into my daily menu :-))
|rajma (kidney beans)||2 cups|
|ginger||1 /4 inch piece|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|coriander powder||1 1/4 teaspoon|
|garam masala||1 teaspoon|
|cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|coriander leaves||few to garnish|
- Soak the rajma for 24 hrs in water. wash it frequently to avoid odour.
- Pressure cook till soft with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water.
- Finely chop one onion. grind the other onion with green chillies, garlic & ginger to a fine paste and keep aside. grind the tomatoes and keep it separately.
- In a deep vessel, add 4 tbsp of oil. heat the oil and add cumin seeds. then add the finely chopped onion and saute it till it becomes light brown and transparent.
- Then add the ground paste & fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the tomato paste, curd, haldi powder, chilly powder , coriander powder and salt. cover for a few minutes in low to medium flame(till the gravy becomes glossy and the oil speparates )
- Then add rajma and make up the consistency of the gravy by adding water as required.
- Top with garam masala and fresh cream . Mix well . Taste and adjust .
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any roti of choice .