Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6 members
Mutter paneer . A pure vegetarian dish i have been waiting to post for a very long time , my cousin brother Shabu’s (Ahamed shah) wife Zarina (baby as well we call her) called me one day asking for a recipe with paneer.Mentioned this recipe and she made it with out the green peas. My cousin liked it so much that he had the left over in the morning along with dosa the next day . She did send me pictures as well. The original recipe demanded cashew nut paste but as she was out of stock of the ingredient. I asked her to substitute it with coconut paste.She asked another doubt about her paneer pieces being hard always. I asked her what she does to the paneer . Her reply was i soak it in water, cut into cubes and then fry it . I told her you have to first fry it and then soak it in salted water till required to use in the dish. This helps the paneer to stay moist and don’t waste the soaked water. Use it for the matter paneer dish which adds a lot more flavour than adding just water. These small things make a great difference to the dish.
|Paneer||1 cup cut into cubes , fried in 1 teaspoon oil or ghee and soaked in salted water|
|Green peas||shelled and boiled 1 cup|
|Onions|| 2 sliced fried in 1 teaspoon oil to translucent and ground to a smooth paste
|Tomato||3 big ground|
|Onion -||1 chopped|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Cashew nuts||1 tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 tablespoons ,( kasa kasa )|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||1/2 teaspoon each|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Fresh cream||1 tablespoon
|Coriander leaves||few chopped|
- Grind cashew nut , poppy seeds , fennel seeds together to a smooth paste . Heat a kadai with oil .
- Add cumin seeds . Once they crackle top with chopped onions and fry to brown . Add ginger garlic paste and fry to crisp .
- Pour the ground tomato purée . Saute till oil floats and raw smell has gone . Top with ground onion paste and fry for 3 to 4 minutes .
- Top with chilli powder , turmeric powder , coriander powder , garam masala powder and salt to taste .
- Fry for a minute and pour enough water to get a thick consistency gravy and boil till all the flavours infuse together and raw smell vanishes .
- Add the boiled green peas and the cashew nut , poppy seed paste and mix well . Bring to boil . Add sugar , fried paneer and mix well . taste and adjust seasoning and add more water If Required .
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fresh cream . Serve hot with chapatis , pulkas , paratha s , rotis etc.