Preparation Time : 25 minutes
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Serving : 4 to 6 members
Prawn Biriyani . A mouth watering , hearty , full flavoured indulgence . I was having a chat with my hubby’s neice Rahima Zenofer and just asked her what they had for lunch . She told prawn biriyani. The minute i heard that wanted to try it out. I am a keen cook and often can’t resist trying out a recipe i particularly like. Immediately got the recipe from her mom Wahidha and tried it out the next day. It turned out absolutely pitch perfect. I have to confess that i ended up eating most of it .(that’s what happens usually , shameless me)
|tomato||2 big chopped|
|green chillies||6 slit|
|ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon each|
|turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|chilli powder||1 1/2 teaspoon|
|pepper powder||2 1/4 teaspoon|
|cumin powder||1 teaspoon|
|fennel powder||2 1/2 teaspoon|
|mint leaves and coriander leaves||1/4 hand each chopped|
|rose water||1/4 teaspoon|
|saffron||a pinch soaked in 2 tablespoons of milk|
|basmati rice||3 1/2 cup|
|water||4 1/4 cup|
|cashewnut||10 + coconut grated - 4 teaspoons ground together to a smooth paste|
- Marinate cleaned prawns with curd , salt , turmeric powder , chilli powder , cumin powder , pepper powder and fennel powder . Set aside .
- Wash rice and soak in water . Heat ghee in a pressure cooker ,add cinnamon , clove , cardamom and bay leaf . Once they crackle top with onions and sauté till dark brown for about 8 minutes .
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry to brown and crisp . Top with tomatoes and green chillies and sauté till tomatoes break down and gets to a gravy consistency .
- Pour the marinated prawns along with mint leaves and coriander leaves . Mix well pouring water and pressure cook for 1 whistle .
- Add cashewnut and coconut paste , lime juice and rose water . Mix well and bring to boil . Taste and adjust .
- Salt , sourness , hotness should be more than required only then when cooked with rice will taste good . Add the soaked rice along with saffron . Mix well .
- Pressure cook for 1 Whistle and simmer the flame for 5 minutes . Once the whistle sound settles down . Prawn biriyani is ready . Serve pipeing hot with onion raitha .